Saturday, August 7, 2010

Day 8 Washington DC

Today was a buts one for me. I started out by making my way to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (not the same one as yesteday- that was a bridge-tunnel). I got a shot as I was crossing it. When I got over it, I was back in Maryland. This bridge was long also, but not nearly as long as the Tunnel Bridge at the mouth of the bay.
I passed by a Harley Dealership in Annapolis so I stopped in. I had the service dept. look at my exhaust. They said due to the excessive heat lately, the fuel is acting as if it has a lower octaine. With the extra weight of my luggage the engine wants to "lug." He suggested using lower gears. I tried it and it worked. Anyway, my bike was fine. I got myself a souvenir coffee mug and a quart of oil. I was a bit low.
I continued on into Washington DC.

I passed by a whole bunch of "Segway Tours." Saves a lot of walking. Driving is NOT THE WAY TO GO IN DC. Traffic was thicker than ticks on a hound. We got about 2 or 3 cars through each light cycle. I was stalled in DC for a couple hours trying to get around. It was over a hundred degrees again. It was HOT on that bike. I saw a couple things, but then just gave up (for now- read on).



Here is the Washington Monument. The sign said "NO STOPPING" but I did anyway.



I found a guy to take my picture, but his aim was not too good.



This is the Lincoln Memorial. I was unable to drive nearer to it. There is NO PARKING anywhere near the place. You pretty much have to take a guided tour to see anything, or walk your butt off.
I crossed the river into Virginia and went to Arlington Cemetery.

A shot of The Unknown Soldier's Tomb.
There is a sense of reverence here.
This is a piece of artwork inside of the Visitor's Center.

Then I made it to the Pentagon (but it wasn't easy).

You won't get in if they don't want you there. The gates are hydraulic.


They have a nice memorial there dedicated to Sept 11th 2001. They even have the time listed on it: 9:37 AM. I remember that day well.

The art work is unique. There are a few of the total 184 fixtures in the picture below. Each one represents a person who was killed that day. They face in one of two directions. To the right for those killed on the airplane, to the left for those killed in the Pentagon. The youngest victim was 12 years old.



I had a hard time navagating round the city. I just left and made my way to the Fredrick County Sheriff's Department. I went inside and asked some of the guys what the best way to see things around DC would be. They told me to go back to Shady Grove and take the Metro (train) into the city, then take a Trolly Tour (bus). So I went back about 25 miles and stayed in Rockville (Where Shady Grove Metro is located).

I had some time so I washed my dirty jeans, and went to dinner. It's the first real dinner I have had on this trip. Steak and Lobster at the Bugaboo Creek Steak House. Washed it down with a beer.
Then I went back to my room, took a shower and worked on this blog.

Tomorrow I will catch the train into DC around 6AM and see the sights I really want to see. I have all day. I have to be in Emmitsburg by evening to check in. Class starts the next day.
My mileage today was only 234 miles.















No comments: