I headed out for Mt Rushmore. The road out of Rapid City was pretty scenic.
I came through Keystone. They have it all fixed up. When I was a kid this was nothing like this.
I was getting close....
There's the boys right there! George, Tom, Abe and Ted. All four of those guys made pretty good bosses.
After Mt Rushmore I went along the Needles Highway.

I bet it took awhile to chisel through that.

There were rocks sticking up all over. There were hundreds of them.
Then I came past Chief Crazy Horse. I had to admit there was some change in the monument since I saw it last- about 35 years ago.
Maybe in another 35 it will be done??
I made my way to Deadwood.
Deadwood is an old mining town. Not too many gunfights here now.
Maybe in another 35 it will be done??
I made my way to Deadwood.
Deadwood is an old mining town. Not too many gunfights here now.After looking here and there, I continued on to Wyoming.
I turned off the main highway and went to see the Devil's Tower.

Here is a closer shot.

According to the handout they gave me, The cone was formed under the earth, then the surrounding dirt eroded away leaving what we now see. But... I believe the Indians had it right: Three chiefs were surrounded by mountain lions at their camp site. They prayed to the Great Spirit to be saved. The ground they were on rose up taking them out of the loins reach. The lions scratched at the sides as the land rose up causing the rough exterior (it could happen).
I had spend a lot of time looking at things today so I headed out trying to make some mileage. I could see the Rockies off to my left. I will be all up in them tomorrow.
I turned off the main highway and went to see the Devil's Tower.
Here is a closer shot.

According to the handout they gave me, The cone was formed under the earth, then the surrounding dirt eroded away leaving what we now see. But... I believe the Indians had it right: Three chiefs were surrounded by mountain lions at their camp site. They prayed to the Great Spirit to be saved. The ground they were on rose up taking them out of the loins reach. The lions scratched at the sides as the land rose up causing the rough exterior (it could happen).
I had spend a lot of time looking at things today so I headed out trying to make some mileage. I could see the Rockies off to my left. I will be all up in them tomorrow.I hoped to make Cody tonight, but it was getting late. I stopped in at the Motel 6 at Sheridan, WY to make a reservation at Cody. I know it would be pretty late when I got there and I wanted to get a room before they filled up.
Surprise, there is no motel 6 at Cody. I did not have my computer handy and I couldn't remember what motels there were in Cody, so I just stayed here. The guy here said Cody was still 4 hours away (more like 2 I found out later). I only made about 370 miles today. I didn't feel too bad, I got to see a lot of things today (a good vacation).
Surprise, there is no motel 6 at Cody. I did not have my computer handy and I couldn't remember what motels there were in Cody, so I just stayed here. The guy here said Cody was still 4 hours away (more like 2 I found out later). I only made about 370 miles today. I didn't feel too bad, I got to see a lot of things today (a good vacation). Tomorrow I will get up early and go see the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody. I have heard about it all my life. Can't wait to see it.


No comments:
Post a Comment