Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Day 4 Kansas - Missouri

Today the ride was boring. I rode 513 miles. I stayed on I-70 all day. The temp got up to 107 degrees. I drank a bottle of water at each fill up, but it was not enough, I don't think. I didn't start out as early as I wanted to because I didn't realize I had crossed into the central time zone last evening. I pulled out of the parking lot at 8:30 instead of 7:30. I felt that extra hour at the end of the day (it got mighty hot later).

Here is some Kansas scenery:

It's waayyyy different than Colorado....

I made my way from Colby, Kansas to Topeka where I has about half dead from the heat. My motorcycle felt like an oven between my legs. I found it was better to keep my feet on the highway pegs and away from the motor. That was slightly cooler.

I passed by these guys today....


(Thought you'd like to see Dorothy & Todo)

I pulled into a restaurant (I forgot to get a picture) and had a burger and a couple cold beers. After I drank something, I felt a bit better. I didn't realize it then, but I was only about 45 minutes from Missouri. I wanted to make it to Kansas City to have some BBQ. I don't think I would have made it the way I was. After only 45 minutes, I didn't see the point in stopping there to eat again. I could get BBQ another time.


After leaving the restaurant, while I was putting on some sun screen, several police cars came 4 belling (lights and siren for you civilian types) into the area. It looked like they were setting up containment across the street from the parking lot I was in (never a good feeling). A helicopter started circling overhead as well. I got my helmet on and was just about to pull out of the lot, when I saw a civilian on a cell phone waving at one of the passing prowl cars. He started pointing to the parking lot I was in. I ASSUMED he was on the phone with 9-1-1 and he LOOKED like he was directing the boys in (I had no idea really).


I started to pull out of the lot and as I did so, I passed the side of the building. I could see two B/M creeping along the side of the building. Just the look on their faces told me those were the guys the boys were looking for. I could see that one of the prowl cars had started to drive into my parking lot and would be there in seconds. For some unknown reason, I stopped my bike jumped off and yelled "get down, get down." I pointed at them then to the ground. They actually got down on the ground! Just then an officer came around the corner (on foot) and I pointed at the two guys. I raised my hands and backed away. I took my helmet off and just stood still. After that about 15 cops including city police, county deputies and some State Troopers surrounded me and the "bad guys."

(I took this picture after everything was done. I didn't want to be reaching for my camera during the festivities)


I told the boys had those guys kept on going I would have just let them pass. I didn't have any of my cop toys and I really had no idea what it was all about. Several of they thanked me for helping. I told them I was on vacation, but I had to fill out a statement for them anyway (we went back inside the restaurant where it was cool to do that). I asked one of the State Troopers what these guys had done. Those guys had burglarized a house, stole the victim's car and drove it down the freeway. A Trooper spotted it and tried to stop them but they ran. The chase was on... they came into the city drove all over and crashed somewhere. They bailed out on foot and ran through some neighborhoods and into my parking lot. I just happened to be in the right place at the wrong time, that's all.


Then back on the road again...


I came to a place where I had to pay a toll. It cost me 75 cents (hardly seemed worth the bother).
I crossed over into Missouri but I did not see a "welcome to -" sign (cheap bastards). I rode into Odessa for gas. I bought some of those Gatorade quarts and drank a whole one right at the counter.
The girl at the counter just watched as I gulped it down. That took all of 2 seconds.

By that time I was only about 80 miles from the hotel I had plugged into my GPS, so I pressed on.

I rolled into Columbia, Missouri right about 6:30 or so. I had heard on the radio on the way into town that there was some huge motorcycle rally here this week. Today was the first day and it was to go through the weekend. I hoped all the hotel rooms weren't taken already. Luckily, they had room for me. I stayed at the Best Western. The guy at the counter said they had a pool, free breakfast and internet hook up.. things were looking up. I dumped my things in the room and jumped in the pool (literally). I stayed in there for half an hour. Tonight I will hit the sack early and leave early before the heat gets going again. It is supposed to continue like this a few days.

Tomorrow I will finish passing through Missouri then go through Illinois and Kentucky then into Tennessee. The plan calls for 618 miles tomorrow. If it's hot like it was today, I may stop sooner. So far I have gone 2282 miles.

No comments: