Monday, August 15, 2011

2011 Alaska Run 8-15-11

Today was an easy day. I left home and met Mike Romaine at the station where we took off (late by my standards). Mike had just come home the day before from another ride and needed to "re-tool" for this ride, so we met at 9:30 AM. That gave me time to go and get breakfast at Marcia's Silver Spoon. I got to the station early, so I read my (work) e-mail while I waited for him.


We ran right up I-5 to Belingham where we turned off onto 452. That took us to Sumas and into Canada.
The wait at the border was only about 5 minutes.
Here is a picture of Goofy Mike waiting his turn...

and being grilled by the nasty lady (he didn't like her too much.)



Before we knew it, we were in British Coumbia.


Mike took this shot of me going down the roadway. We had an easy day of it. Good weather, good roadway, not too much traffic. Although for August, it could have been warmer.




We went by Hells Gate- which is a particularly nasty spot in the Frazier River where the rapids have smashed many boats. Fortunately, we didn't have that trouble. Mike said "We went to Hells Gate and they wouldn't let us in." What a nut.



We passed through a lot of tunnels today on Hwy 97. My GPS kept saying "You have lost reception. Search for satellites?" After awhile I felt like saying: "What do you %$*^&! think?" We were in a lot of mountains for a good part of the day. There were tons of scenery.
I have a couple shots of the mountains we went through but these shots don't really do it justice. There were a lot of good places to pull off and take pictures, but Mike did most of them on the fly.
Here is the last one for the day. Toward the end of our day the got a bit chilly and we had to stop and put our coats back on. It will be cool in the morning and it is supposed to rain where we are headed.
All in all today was a fun one. We stayed at the Super 8 in Williams Lake BC but I forgot to get a picture of it. We ate at an Indian Casino just down the block. They have real beer here in Canada, not like the watered-down stuff at home.



That's all for today.











































2 comments:

Harmony said...

There are indians in Canada?!?

Davey (The Destroyer) said...

Looks like you're having fun pops! Can't wait to see some pictures of alaska! Find some bears for me :O