Sunday, August 21, 2011

Alaska Run day 6




Today proved to be a long one. Mike and I got up around 6:30 and were on the road after breakfast about 7:30. This place had breakfast for us, but it was nothing like yesterday. Cereal and a banana for me.


We traveled on Hwy 97 for quite aways. There was lots of scenery.


The country here is beautiful, but it could use some rain.

We turned off onto Hwy 99 when we came across Seton Indian Reservation. It looked like a post card.


We are lunch there at Reynold's Hotel. We had Buffalo burgers. There were other bikers having lunch there too. Some left when we got there and others arrived after we did. Apparently this was the place to go.
You never know just you might see on a road trip. We ran across this guy. I had to stop and ask him what he was doing. He said he considered himself a street artist. He was heading toward some gathering of artists. We wished him well and off we went again.
WE began to climb into mountains again. This time it was the North Cascades. This it the "back side" of Whistler.
Our day wouldn't be complete without more gravel and some construction
delays.
While we sere stopped, I noticed a stop sign for the "other direction." It is written in "First Nation." The indians up there are of course, not native Americans, they call them First Nation.

More climbing up towards the snow. We were up around 4000 feet today. It was over 70 degrees there.

At Whistler, we stoppod for a butt break. Besides, I had to get something for my grand daughter.
Some of the people we saw there were pretty tall. They were dressed up for a party. After buying a few things atWhistler, we headed back down the mountains toward Vancouver BC. The traffic got heavy when we got near town. We hadn't been in any traffic to speak of for a whole week. We found we hadn't missed it much.



Mike got pretty good at taking pictures with his camera. He took this one of us while waiting our turn at US Customs.
We Only had to wait about 10-15 minutes and we were through. The guy I had grilled me about the Yukon. He said he had a Road King and he has always wanted to go up there, but wasn't sure of the roads. I told him that if we had made it, so could he. He handed my passport back with a smile and I was on my way.

Here I am heading home after about 3000 miles of fun on my HOG. Both Mike and I have CB radios on our bikes and they sure came in handy on this trip. We had great communications so we could coordinate turns, stops, fuel needs etc. And we didn't have to scream to hear each other.


One last stop in Arlington for gas and dinner. Denny's was right next door to the Shell station so we just ate there. Pot roast and iced tea for me.

After 6 days on the road and 3064 miles, my bike was in bad need of a wash job...


and a new rear tire. This one is beyond worn out. Time to get the tools out.

All in all this was a pretty fun week for me. Mike and I had fun seeing some new things and we added another state to our list of places we have been in. For me, Alaska was my 34th state. The Yukon we decided to add on as a bonus. That added nearly 1000 miles to our trip, and took us through some very scenic places. It was a great decision to go up there.

Hope you enjoyed reading about my travels.






No comments: