Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Sunday - 6-29-08

From Wenatchee to Winthrop, then home.


20 bikes assembled this morning at the harley dealer. They were closed and we looked longingly into the windows... we wanted tee shirts, and pins, and well, you know... After leaving, some riders dropped out here and there to take different routes back home.



We got in gear and ready to go right around 0900 hrs. It was already beginning to get hot. Jerry and Dave gave us our brief which had changed a bit due to the hot weather. They added a break at one of the gas stations where we could get cold drinks if we wanted to. That was a welcomed change.


The ride to Winthrop was a nice one but it was 101 degrees when we rolled in to town. We ate at Three Fingered Jacks and I left the camera in the bike. I was too hot to think straight. My radio didn't work too well in the mountains so I picked up some music to put in the CD player. That was the first time I had used it. By the way, this trip was the first time I used the CB radio too. That worked out real well with Dave in front and me in the back. I guess I mentioned that yesterday. After having slipping the CD into the player, I had reached the milestone of having used all the toys on this bike. Too bad there isn't an ice machine on it...

After having lunch, we started over the passes on hwy 20 back to I-5 and home. It was a long haul. I have a picture that I got from Dave. It was actually taken the day before, but it shows our long line of bikes. I just thought it looked good right about here.

The second day of our ride was the most scenic. Hwy 20 is a pretty famous route around these parts. You just can't beat the view of Ross and Diablo Lakes. I didn't tale any pictures of this part of the route. It was hard to pull out of the group and do my own thing. I just let it pass this time.

This was the first organized ride that I had a part in planning. I thought it was a great deal of fun. We raised a bit of money for the Chaplain and our club as well, we met some nice folks and we rolled some miles on the odometer. This stuff is a lot more work that I would have imagined.


Hope you enjoyed reading about our Memorial Ride this year.

Iggy

No comments: